Communications Assistant (Full-Time Summer Student Contract)Application Deadline: Apr 01, 2019
Job DescriptionA creative digital content producer with a strong writing background, the successful candidate will assist WBC with its communications efforts and play a key role in promoting wheelchair basketball and the Canadian national teams on their journey to the Lima 2019 Parapan American Games.
A solid background in communications and/or journalism and a passion for sport are a must. Strong communication and interpersonal skills, the ability to problem solve, a positive attitude and a willingness to take initiative are definite assets.
Working in a fast-paced environment, the Communications Assistant will contribute to a world-leading amateur sport organization and report to the Communications Manager.
- Create digital content for the WBC website and social channels, including written news, game and feature stories, athlete bios, graphics and videos;
- Assist in the maintenance of the WBC website and social media channels;
- Produce and distribute monthly e-newsletter;
- Track and compile National Team statistics;
- Daily media monitoring and maintenance of media contact lists;
- Assist in the day-to-day operations of the communications department and provide specific administrative assistance to the Communications Manager as required.
- A passion for sport and experience working in a sport environment;
- Post-secondary education or experience in communications, journalism, or a related field;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Knowledge of website maintenance and social media management;
- Photography, videography and/or graphic design experience is an asset;
- Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Premiere and other Creative Cloud programs is an asset;
- Demonstrated organizational, interpersonal, time management and problem solving skills;
- Ability to take direction and multi-task in a fast-paced environment;
- Team player with ability to work independently and take initiative;
- Proficiency with computers, technology and the internet required;
- Oral and written fluency in French is an asset.
The Communication Assistant shall also undertake other tasks, activities and responsibilities as he/she deems to be appropriate to fulfill the responsibilities of the position, and as agreed to by the Communications Manager and Executive Director.
All employees must be aware that as an employee of WBC, he/she is an ambassador of the association to the WBC membership, and to the national and international sport community and must represent the association in a professional and appropriate manner at all times.
How to Apply
Terms of Contract
- Full-time 4-month contract position (May to August 2019);
- Travel may be required;
- Located at the WBC national office in Ottawa.
This position will be subject to approved Service Canada funding through the Canada Summer Jobs program. To be eligible to apply, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- is between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
- is a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act* for the duration of the employment*; and;
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
Please send your resume, cover letter and writing samples to the attention of:
Wheelchair Basketball Canada
6 Antares Drive, Phase 1, Unit 8
Ottawa, Ontario K2E 8A9
< Back to Job Opportunities