(Toronto, Ont.) The 2014 Women’s World Wheelchair Basketball Championship begins on June 20 at the Mattamy Athletic Centre in Toronto, Ont., and members of the media are invited to attend the Opening Ceremony at 12:30 p.m. ET immediately prior to Team Canada’s first game of the tournament.
The milestone event features teams from 12 competing countries and marks the largest women’s world championship in the history of the sport. Team Canada is in pursuit of an unprecedented seventh consecutive podium finish at the world championship, and the tournament will be Canada’s first major test on the road to the Toronto 2015 Parapan American Games and the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games.
What: Opening Ceremony of the 2014 Women’s World Wheelchair Basketball Championship
- Team Canada’s first game to immediately follow Opening Ceremony
- Maureen Orchard, International Wheelchair Basketball Federation President
- The Hon. Bal Gosal, Minister of State (Sport)
- Province of Ontario rep (tbd)
- Kathy Newman, 2014 Women’s World Championship Event Chair
- Participating National Team Athletes and Coaches
When: Friday, June 20, 2014
- Opening Ceremony – 12:30 p.m. ET
- Game: Canada vs. Japan – 1 p.m. ET
Where: Mattamy Athletic Centre, Arena (3rd Floor)
- 50 Carlton St, Toronto, ON M5B 1J2
The media also has the opportunity to catch a glimpse of the Canadian Senior Women’s National Team prior to the start of the world championship as Canada faces the United States in an exhibition game at 9 a.m. on Tuesday, June 17, 2014 at the Mattamy Athletic Centre.