(Ottawa, Ont.) The sound of clashing metal, the smell of burning rubber, and the sweet taste of victory will bring the Mattamy Athletic Centre in Toronto to life when the top wheelchair basketball athletes in the western hemisphere arrive for the 2015 Americas Wheelchair Basketball Challenge March 22-26th.
Due to Colombia withdrawing from the tournament, there has been a change to the competition schedule for the 2015 Americas Wheelchair Basketball Challenge. Team Canada will now play five games against their Americas zone rivals from Argentina, Brazil, and the United States in the friendly warm-up tournament that offers a sneak peak at the top competitors gearing up for the Toronto 2015 Parapan Am Games.
TV Photo Op: Catch a glimpse of the sheer athleticism, speed, and intensity of the wheelchair basketball players that will star in the Toronto 2015 Parapan Am Games
Who: Pan American rivals Argentina, Brazil, and the United States vs. Canadian Men’s Wheelchair Basketball Team (Paralympic Games experience denoted with a *):
- #4 Deion Green (Victoria, B.C.)
- #5 Peter Won (Blackfalds, Alta.)
- #6 Bo Hedges (Wonowon, B.C.)*
- #7 Vincent Dallaire (Quebec, Que.)
- #8 Liam Hickey (St. John’s, N.L.)
- #9 Adam Lancia (Scarborough, Ont.)*
- #10 Abdi Dini (Scarborough, Ont.)*
- #11 Chad Jassman (Calgary, Alta.)*
- #12 Nik Goncin (Regina, Sask.)
- #13 Jonathan Vermette (Sherbrooke, Que.)
- #14 Tyler Miller (Kitchener, Ont.)*
- #15 David Eng (Montreal, Que.)*
- Head Coach: Jerry Tonello (Toronto, Ont.)
What: 2015 Americas Wheelchair Basketball Challenge
When (Updated Schedule):
- Canada vs. Brazil Sunday March 22 at 8:30 p.m. ET
- Canada vs. Argentina Monday March 23 at 8:30 p.m. ET
- Canada practice (open to media) Tuesday March 24 from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. ET
- Canada vs. Brazil Tuesday March 24 at 8:30 p.m. ET
- Canada vs. Argentina Wednesday March 25 at 6:15 p.m. ET
- Feature Game: Canada vs USA Thursday March 26 at 6:15 p.m. ET
Where: Mattamy Athletic Centre – 50 Carlton Street, Toronto, Ont. M5B 1J2
Interviews with Team Canada athletes and coaches can be scheduled by contacting Jody Kingsbury at 613-851-2337 or email@example.com.
The 2015 Americas Wheelchair Basketball Challenge is the first major test for the Canadian Men’s National Team that must finish amongst the top two teams at the Toronto 2015 Parapan American Games in August in order to qualify for the 2016 Paralympic Games.
About Team Canada
The Senior Men’s National Team went undefeated at the London 2012 Paralympics to capture their third gold medal in four Paralympic Games. It is the latest accomplishment in a sport dynasty that has placed them on the podium at four consecutive Paralympics and at five of the last six world championships.
About Wheelchair Basketball Canada
Wheelchair Basketball Canada is the national sports governing body responsible for the organization of the sport in Canada. It is a non-profit, charitable organization that is committed to excellence in the development, support and promotion of wheelchair basketball programs and services for all Canadians from grassroots to high performance. Wheelchair basketball is a fast-paced, hard-hitting, competitive sport in which Canada is held in high esteem around the world for winning a combined six gold, one silver, and one bronze medal in the last six Paralympic Games.