(Ottawa, Ont.) Wheelchair Basketball Canada is seeking a dynamic, organized, and detail-oriented team player for an exciting and challenging summer student employment opportunity.
Position – Communications Assistant (full-time summer student contract)
The successful candidate will assist Wheelchair Basketball Canada with day-to-day communications and media relations efforts and report to the Communications Coordinator.
A solid background in business development, marketing, communications and/or journalism, and an interest in sport are a must. Strong communication and interpersonal skills, the ability to problem solve, a positive attitude and a willingness to take initiative are definite assets.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to gain valuable experience in the communications field as Wheelchair Basketball Canada prepares for the Toronto 2015 Parapan American Games from August 7-15, 2015.
Working in a fast-paced environment, the Communications Assistant will contribute to a world-leading amateur sport organization.
- Provide specific administrative assistance to the Communications Manager and Communications Coordinator as required;
- Assist in the ongoing maintenance/updating of the organization’s online properties including website, e-newsletter, and social media platforms;
- Promote National Team activities leading up to the Toronto 2015 Parapan American Games and assist with planning and execution of Wheelchair Basketball Canada events such as Team Canada press conferences;
- Track and compile National Team statistics;
- Coordinate Wheelchair Basketball Canada’s media monitoring efforts;
- Assist with research, writing and distribution of media relation materials including media releases, media notes, and athlete bios;
- Keep up-to-date media contact lists, help manage media outreach and respond to media requests.
- The Communication Assistant shall also undertake other tasks, activities and responsibilities as he/she deems to be appropriate to fulfill the responsibilities of the position, and as agreed to by the Communications Manager and Executive Director.
- All employees must be aware that as an employee of the Wheelchair Basketball Canada, he/she is an ambassador of the association to the Wheelchair Basketball Canada membership, and to the national and international sport community and must represent the association in a professional and appropriate manner at all times.
- Experience in business, marketing, communications, journalism, or a related field;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Demonstrated organizational, interpersonal, time management and problem solving skills;
- Proficiency with computers, technology, Microsoft Office, and the internet required;
- Familiarity with website maintenance, e-newsletter distribution, and/or other marketing / communication activities such as social media considered an asset;
- Knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, or Premiere considered an asset;
- Ability to take direction and multi-task in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Oral and written fluency in both official languages is considered an asset;
- A passion for sport is a must.
Terms of Contract
- 4-month contract position (May-August);
- Travel may be required;
- Located at the Wheelchair Basketball Canada national office in Ottawa, Ontario.
This position will be subject to approved Service Canada funding through the Canada Summer Jobs program.
To be eligible to apply, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- is between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
- is registered as a full-time student during the preceding academic year;
- intends to return to school on a full-time basis during the next academic year;
- is a student in a secondary, post-secondary, CEGEP (Quebec only), vocational or technical program;
- is a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act* and;
- is legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial / territorial legislation and regulations.
The application deadline is Monday, April 27, 2015. We thank all applicants who apply, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please send your resume and cover letter to the attention of:
Wheelchair Basketball Canada
6 Antares Drive, Phase 1, Unit 8
Ottawa, Ontario K2E 8A9
About Wheelchair Basketball Canada
Wheelchair Basketball Canada is the national sports governing body responsible for the organization of the sport in Canada. It is a non-profit, charitable organization that is committed to excellence in the development, support and promotion of wheelchair basketball programs and services for all Canadians from grassroots to high performance. Wheelchair basketball is a fast-paced, hard-hitting, competitive sport in which Canada is held in high esteem around the world for winning a combined six gold, one silver, and one bronze medal in the last six Paralympic Games.