(Ottawa, Ont.) Wheelchair Basketball Canada (WBC) is a world-leading national amateur sport organization committed to excellence in the development, support and promotion of wheelchair basketball programs and services for all Canadians.
A not-for-profit organization, WBC is strategic and innovative in driving the growth and evolution of the game and championing inclusion to empower people of all abilities to reach their full potential.
WBC is looking for four (4) individuals to join the organization’s Board of Directors:
- Three (3) Directors-at-Large, elected for two-year terms; and
- One (1) Director-at-Large, appointed for a one-year term.
Directors have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Support the mission statement;
- Read and understand the financial statements and otherwise assist the Board in fulfilling its fiduciary responsibility;
- Attend meetings of the Board and actively participate in decision-making;
- Share your area of expertise with the Board and staff;
- Be an advocate for the organization and use your contacts to promote it in ways appropriate to your profession;
- Obtain various means of support for the organization, such as sponsorship, advertisers, members, exhibitors, speakers, etc.;
- Fulfill the duties of care, obedience and loyalty to the organization;
- Participate in regular assessments to improve Board performance;
- Participate in strategic planning activities;
- Prioritize and monitor programs and services;
- Select the Executive Director, review their performance, and provide direction if needed in accordance to the Executive Director’s job description;
- Avoid conflicts of interest; and,
- Participate in the organization’s conferences and meetings.
Candidates must meet the following minimum criteria:
- Be 18 years of age or older;
- Have the power under law to contract;
- Be a resident of Canada;
- Have not been declared incapable by a court in Canada or in another country;
- Not have the status of bankrupt;
- Satisfy the requirements of the Income Tax Act in relation to the eligibility to serve as a director of a registered charity; and,
- Not be employed or contracted by WBC or any of its provincial/territorial affiliates.
In addition, the ideal candidate will have:
- Experience serving on Boards of not-for-profit organizations;
- A specific skill set or expertise (especially business, marketing, legal, fundraising, and sponsorship expertise) that would benefit the organization;
- Knowledge of the Canadian sport system is an asset but not required;
- Ability to commit approximately 10 – 15 hours per month to the work of the Board; and,
- Willing and able to travel if necessary.
How to Apply
This is a volunteer position.
Interested candidates are required to complete the attached form – Appendix A – in order to be considered for the position.
Deadline for applications is midnight EST on December 11, 2019.
Please send applications to Chair of the Nominations Committee at email@example.com.